The Multi-Dimensional Ivanian (MDI) Approach
The Multi-Dimensional Ivanian is a pedagogic strategy that seeks to address the demands of the present-day job market while continuing to uphold time-honoured ethical values. The MDI approach seeks to mould future leaders who will be highly skilled and capable of proposing creative, out-of-the-box ideas. They will be ‘ethical professionals’ whose innovations are guided by such values as secularism, environmental consciousness, and gender equality. They will also be physically fit and healthy, which is a vital attribute in today’s demanding job market.
This modern approach, adopted in 2018, is rooted in the holistic vision of the college’s founder Servant of God Archbishop Mar Ivanios. The motto of the college, “VERITAS VOS LIBERABIT” (Truth shall liberate you) refers to the ultimate enlightenment which can emerge only at the intersection of sharp intellect, sound physique, staunch ethics, and profound spirituality. This ideal is reflected in the first principle in the mission statement of the institution:
“To produce intellectually trained, morally upright, socially committed, spiritually inspired and ecologically conscious young men and women, irrespective of caste, creed, gender or nationality, who would be dedicated to working for the good of society, the nation and the world”
The MDI approach seeks to unite college’s holistic vision and the pragmatism of the Outcome-Based-Education (OBE) approach. It has the following key features:
- The college shall take concrete steps aimed at nurturing scholarly rigour, physical fitness, moral values, and a spiritual ethos in students.
- All the apparatuses of the college, such as the mentoring systems, co-curricular clubs, and extension clubs shall work towards this goal.
- Subject-specific add-on courses train the students in cutting-edge skills relating their disciplines.
- Special thrust shall be given to promoting such values as constitutional awareness, environmental consciousness, anti-narcotics message, and gender equity.
- The Faculty Advisors shall encourage students to utilize these endeavours to develop various aspects of their personality.
- The Management and the college administration shall support this approach by providing funding, ensuring the active involvement of faculty, and assigning slots for co-curricular activities in the academic calendar.
- The uniqueness of the MDI lies in effective implementation of various measures rather than in the uniqueness of the ideas. Whereas many clubs and committees remain inoperative in most campuses, the Principal shall ensure that all the clubs/committees actively pursue their stated missions.